Tuesday 25 March 2008

d'oh! The Eels in this hovercraft have eaten the engine!

Still struggling with the media centre damn it! I am really impressed by the video capture its fantastic, ok its the one thing that has taken ages to get working but it does seem bullet proof now. I drilled a few holes in the back of my TV cabinet and posted all the wires through and set the centre up plugged into the TV it worked brilliantly, the text was so much more readable than when I was using windows on the system. However... I had been using the wired network connection whilst making sure it was setup, but with it being downstairs I had to resort to using the usb wireless thing I had. I had previously confirmed that this works with Ubuntu and got it all configured and expected it to just work after setting everything up in my sitting room, but it didn't. For some reason, that I am yet to investigate, the driver stops working and needs to be installed almost every time I restart the machine. I thought that maybe the drivers weren't in the init.d and so wouldn't be loaded on startup, but every so often the drivers are loaded and everything is fine. When the drivers are up and the connection made it lasts for anywhere from 30 seconds to a few hours before the connection just drops, again I am yet to investigate this!! Plus I want to play around with the resolution so that it fills my widescreen TV but I think the net connection is a more pressing matter. Other than that all that is left to do is learn GTK+ and make a nice little interface for it. Oh yes before I forget, I can't play DVDs directly from the disc to the TV, I think this maybe a strange copyright thing that occurred when using windows, to get around it I installed DVD43 and imagine I have to do something similar here. On a side note I made some bread at the weekend, no its not a weird tecno word for anything I do in fact mean flour water yeast e.t.c. anyway as first attempts go it wasn't great, not a complete failure but I didn't know stuff had to be 'proved' anyone that knows about bread will realise that I ended up with a crusty loaf the size and shape of pitta bread :)

1 comment:

  1. hi my name is loleeta and i'm from slovakia. i'm a fan of your blog, everytime i read your posts i get all hot...

    ReplyDelete

 
Stack Overflow profile for Richard Johnson at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers