Sunday 19 June 2011

IT Confidence

Developer confidence / arrogance

I had a sudden realisation about why most developers come across as arrogant. Ok, so in a lot of cases it is because they are, but I am always accused of being arrogant (mostly by my wife) so decided to look into why that was.

During a developers career they are always trying to sell their solution to a problem, usually without any evidence, the manager in charge has to be convinced that your idea is the correct solution over and above all other solutions in order for you to win the right to implement it. I think this is where it all stems from you have to have ultimate confidence in an idea and it is this confidence that could be observed as arrogance.

5 comments:

  1. I Russian lady like arrogant developer email me quick here sashagoldie@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't agree. I am a programmer for a small to huge company and I am not at all arogant.

    Everyone knows I am always right and the company would crumble without me and they know it and reward me appropriately.
    Only in 2006 I once got a bottle of beer for all my excelent work and I dont mean one of them small french beers, I mean a 275 ml bottle of Heineken.

    Your comments are inadequate, it simply wont do! or would that be too sensible


    Carder Hunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh angry developer, I want to stroke your beard. Why you no email me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to am often wrong, however right is not where it leads me!

    One time, I was wrong about something and the bigger guys in the next office battered me outside after work. They are my best friends.

    A Nerd

    ReplyDelete

 
Stack Overflow profile for Richard Johnson at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers