Monday 11 October 2010

Kindle

Kindle I am probably the last person to provide his verdict about the Kindle, but I don't care here it is anyway. I have for sometime been looking for a good way to read books when not in my house. Being a developer I find that in order to read about a subject area I do normally tend to read several books side by side which is great when at a desk with plenty of space to spread out but not so great when on the move. I was quite surprised by the cost of the Kindle the only other device to come close in my opinion was the sony eReader and that was at least four hundred quid when I last checked. My kindle was £149 and it came with free 3G access to the kindle store plus I could actually browse the internet. It's not great at browsing the internet, but that's not what it's for. One thing it does do very well is that it has an 'Article Mode' that is great when reading wikipedia entries. The most important thing is that I could read it all day everyday when I was on holiday without getting eye strain or needing to recharge it. Whilst I was sat on the beach in the sun reading happily away it gave me great satisfaction to see people trying to read iPads and failing because of the glare from the sun and running out of power at inopportune moments like as soon as they get to the airport tee hee. All in all brilliant bit of kit, if it was any bigger then I wouldn't be able to put it in my suit pocket so I hope this never changes in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Stack Overflow profile for Richard Johnson at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers