Monday 28 July 2008

TODO list

This is a list of things I have to do if anyone can offer any advice then please feel free, I am open to suggestions as always. 1. I need to find out why my wifi connection seems to go to sleep from time to time and then take a while to wake back up 2. I need to be able to connect automatically when the machine switches on, I was told this works if you switch off roaming and put the details in there but so far no joy. At the moment I get prompted for my keyring password, which is and always will be different from the login password so no use getting pam_keyring installed. 3. I need to create a wiki on the system, as I didn't want to get an off the shelf one I already started this I may blog this somewhere. 4. I need to reduce the noise made by the unit, I think I will strip out the current psu and replace it with a 12v supply fed by an inline transformer, I have one spare from a laptop that has breathed its last, it is an ex-laptop (norweign blue it was called!) I have investigated the way to do this and its very simple, the current psu will be replaced by a jetway 12v dc-dc board and an ac-dc transformer is then plugged into this. The dc-dc converter costs £23 (roughly) and to ensure I use a compatible transformer that also costs around £20, I am not sure that it is worth spending £43 at the moment especially as I think its the cpu fan that causes the most noise. To stop the cpu fan from making noise (ie. spinning) I think I could get away with down clocking it to 1.2GHz and either switching the fan off in bios or unplugging it. As an interim measure I think I will change the heat dependant settings of the fan so that it only spins at higher temperatures. Currently I think its on about 6k rpm at 45 degrees which is probably a little too over cautious. 5. I need to respoke a bicycle wheel but for some reason keep getting a simple 3-way crossover pattern all messed up d'oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Stack Overflow profile for Richard Johnson at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers