Monday 3 December 2007

I've never written a blog before, I've never written a diary before either but thought that maybe it would be a good idea to keep hold of all of those little bits of information that could come in handy at a later date. At the moment I am trying to add some details to a web site regarding flight codes, which ordinarily would be a simple matter, however the way the system was designed means that the airport code in question is not only a nice little display item but is also used in the underlying booking system too. So much for separation of concerns! Anyway this is proving to be quite a pain and I am having to do some hideous shuffling of data in order to change the code, it seems like a lot of development work for very little gain. People that request these changes have no idea what the change involves because all they see is a three letter code changing, that annoys me.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure how this whole thing works so I am sort of winging it a bit. I thought I could just add comments when I liked and it would be like an online diary, not sure if that is how it all works though now :S

    anyway I started looking for some meaty project to get my teeth into and thats when I decided that I would make some sort of framework that goes straight from a wsdl to a web site. This means that you can simply point the tool at a wsdl endpoint (i.e. the wsdl you get from sticking ?WSDL at the end of a web service deployed using axis) and it would produce a form for each web service method with things like radio buttons for enums and checkboxes for booleans ad string for string. Then I suddenly realised that Iam using a rubbish web service that defines all inputs as string and outputs as a string for every single method available. The string itself is infact an xml document describing what function the server should perform, so going straight from wsdl to web site would be pointless for this type of thing. Then I thought if I add an extra level of detail i.e. use some schemas to describe what xml the strings would represent I would then have what I originally wanted, a series of different inputs that are more understandable to human beings :)

    So that is it my mission, trouble is the web services are that useless that as far as I know, no xsd or dtd exists for them so I will have to create my own...deep joy;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Stack Overflow profile for Richard Johnson at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers